Vehicle Rental


University employees are strongly encouraged to rent vehicles through agencies under contract with the University. We currently hold contracts with Enterprise, Hertz, and National.

Contracts for Personal Use

University rental car contracts are available for personal use. Please utilize the Contract ID numbers for Leisure travel found on the Travel Contract Page for Enterprise, National and Hertz.


Reservations for personal use only should be made directly with the rental car company (via website or over the phone) and not through TravelUVA or Christopherson Business Travel (CBT). If the rental is for a companion of an employee traveling on university business, that reservation can be made through the TravelUVA website. 


*Please note: Different terms/conditions apply for personal rentals. Insurance is not included on personal rentals, and taxes are applicable. 

How to make a Reservation

Vehicle rental reservations may be made through TravelUVA. Our preferred (contracted) vendors are listed first.

Paying for Vehicle Rentals

  • The Travel and Expense Card is the preferred method of payment for vehicle rentals for employee travel.
  • Vehicle reservations are NOT pre-paid, payment must be made by credit card in the name of the driver at the time of pick up.
  • Setting up a direct bill account - If a Travel and Expense cardholder needs to pay for another employee’s vehicle rental, he or she may apply for a direct bill account with Hertz by completing the Hertz Direct Bill Application and/or with Enterprise and National by completing the Enterprise Direct Bill Application and completing the instructions on the form.
    • *Direct bill accounts may only be used for employee rentals. Non-employees must personally pay and seek reimbursement. 
  • For rental vehicles, the University reimburses actual expenses.
  • Itemized receipts are required regardless of amount for the rental cost.


  • The traveler should only purchase additional collision damage insurance offered by the rental agency for vehicles leased or rented through non-contracted vendors. University contracted vendors:  Enterprise, Hertz, and National all include the collision damage waiver fee in their rates per the University contract.*Please note this is a change in policy. 
  • If a rental vehicle is damaged and the rental agreement does not include the collision damage waiver, the department will be responsible for the $1000 insurance deductible for any claim.
  • Non-University employees (with the exception of volunteers traveling on UVA business) are not covered under the University’s self-insurance plan. For these individuals, the University will only reimburse LDW and CDW insurance. 
  • Vehicles rented under the Leisure/Personal code do not include insurance. 
  • IMPORTANT: 15 passenger van rentals are not allowed under Policy SEC-001:15-Passenger Vans


The traveler must return vehicles with the same amount of fuel as when picked up. It is most cost effective to refuel before returning. Justification is required when expensing if refueling occurs at the rental agency.

Tax Exempt Status

The University qualifies for tax exempt status for vehicle rentals in the state of Virginia and other select states. It is the traveler’s responsibility to understand the tax exempt policy of the state which they are visiting and to make sure that tax is appropriately charged. See the University’s Comptroller’s Website for more information on tax exemptions.


  • Parking fees incurred while traveling on official University business are an allowable expense.
  • Parking fines are not an allowable expense for University faculty, staff, or students.


EZ Pass or other Toll Pass programs are an allowable expense

International driving

If you are traveling outside the United States, please review the International Travel page before making arrangements.

  • Travelers should purchase the liability damage waiver (LDW) and collision damage waiver (CDW) insurance on the rental contract for vehicles rented outside the United States, its territories or possessions, or Canada. See policy FIN-006, Insurance Coverage.
  • An international driver’s license is required or recommended to drive in many countries. Visit AAA for more information
  • The US Department of State has many helpful tips for driving abroad.

Roadside Assistance

While  the purchase of roadside assistance plans is not recommended, any fees associated with services not covered by the rental company, e.g. flat tire, lockout service, vehicle jumpstart, fuel delivery, lost and damaged key replacement, etc., will be allowable expenses on a traveler’s expense report.