Before You Go

How to Prepare:

  • Keep a copy of your itinerary email or download to a travel app. One recommended app is TripIt.
  • Visit for travel guidelines and restrictions.
  • Visit Planning and Paying for Travel for allowable travel expenses including receipt requirements.
  • Confirm your meal allowance amounts.
  • Notify all credit card providers of your travel plans so cards will not be placed on a fraud alert hold.


Special International Travel Considerations:

  • Register your trip via the Required Employee Travel Registry. You will then be auto-enrolled in the University's international employee travel insurance program. Coverage is provided by CISI. Traveler Identification Cards will be emailed within 24-48 business hours of enrollment and travelers should carry the card with them while traveling. This registration must be completed or travel will not be reimbursed/ paid by the University.
  • Obtain prior approval from the Office of Export Controls at or 982-5725 if you are traveling with University-owned laptops, smartphones, or any other equipment or are traveling to sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and Ukraine).
  • Visit the Department of State's Travel Advisory site to learn of any travel advisories or warnings for the country or countries you plan to visit.
  • Be sure your passport is current. Many countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay.
  • Make photocopy images of your passport, driver’s license, and critical prescriptions, and other important paperwork and leave one copy with someone at home and carry one copy separate from the originals in case your travel documents are misplaced or stolen.
  • Check to see if a visa is required for the country or countries you are visiting or through which you are transiting. To learn about visa requirements visit
  • Check and understand the currency exchange rate before you travel.
  • Be aware of the tipping customs of the country you will be visiting.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Determine what shots and immunizations you need before you go by visiting
    • The Centers for Disease Control offers detailed and summary information on health concerns and foreign travel.
  • Currently enrolled students should contact Student Health for assistance with immunizations.


If You Need to Cancel Your Trip:

  • Airline - you must cancel your airline ticket prior to flight departure either through Christopherson Business Travel (CBT) or directly with the airline in order to retain your future travel credit. Most airlines will allow you to reuse your flight credit for up to one year from the date of purchase. Depending on the airline's policy there may be a change fee.
  • Hotel - cancel before the hotel cancellation policy goes into effect. This is detailed on your itinerary. Cancel through CBT or directly with the hotel. Retain your cancellation number for your records.
  • Other (rail, car, etc.) – cancel through CBT or directly with the railway, car company, etc. to avoid cancellation penalties.