- Lodging can be booked through TravelUVA. If booked via TravelUVA, access is available to discounts through several travel consortia to which Christopherson Business Travel belongs.
- For local lodging, University employees are strongly encouraged to utilize local hotels under contract with the University. Reservations can be made through TravelUVA or directly with the contract hotels.
- Conference hotels can booked directly with the hotel or by calling a Christopherson Business Travel agent at 1-844-4UVA-CBT (1-844-488-2228) and providing them with the conference information. Conference hotel rates are not available in the online booking tool.
Paying for Lodging
- Hotel reservations are NOT pre-paid through TravelUVA or most other booking sources. The traveler will need to present a credit card in his or her name when he/she checks in to the hotel.
- The only exception to this is for local hotels where UVA holds contracts. A travel arranger may enter his/her computing ID in the "special information field when booking in the Concur online booking tool or call the hotel and give his/ her T&E card information over the phone.
- For non-local hotels arrangements may be made for pre-payment by contacting the hotel directly.
- Travelers must follow the single lodging limit of $300. Taxes and surcharges may be reimbursed in addition to the lodging limit. When the rate is exceeded by more than two times the lodging limit justification is required along with supervisor approval.
- Lodging that is non-refundable is not allowed per University Travel Policy.
- Itemized receipts are required regardless of the dollar amount.
- The Travel and Expense Card is the preferred method of payment.
Taxes and Tips
- The University of Virginia is not exempt from Virginia sales tax on lodging.
- Tips should be reasonable and follow best practices. It is customary to tip bellmen, porters, and hotel cleaning staff. Tips are not reimbursed if you are claiming meal per diems.
Alternative lodging follows the same policy as hotel lodging with the exception of the following:
T&E cards may not be used to purchase accommodations with Airbnb and similar services such as VRBO or Homeaway, although travelers may personally pay for these reservations and be reimbursed by the University.
As you may know, hotels and other commercial properties carry insurance that covers their guests in case of injury or property loss. The type of properties offered via Airbnb and similar services vary widely in the type of coverage available for guests (if they offer any at all). Because of this, we do not recommend their use for University business.
We do understand, however, that this option might best suit your needs or the experience you want to have when you travel. There may be occasions where choosing Airbnb might be a less expensive option, or perhaps there are limited accommodations in the area. In those cases, you may pay for these accommodations and submit the cost through ExpenseUVA for reimbursement. However, if you choose to utilize these services, please be aware that you are accepting personal responsibility for any incidents that may occur during your stay.
The traveler must communicate changes in travel plans to the hotel as soon as possible when a confirmed reservation is being held. Charges for non-canceled reservations will not be reimbursed if the traveler is negligent in canceling reservations.