International Travel

The University supports international travel to strengthen partnerships in education and research. However, there are federal regulations that must be adhered to and steps that can be taken to support a safe trip.


Those traveling on behalf of the University MUST obtain PRIOR approval from the Office of Export Controls at under certain circumstances, such as travel to sanctioned countries. Failure to obtain prior authorization may result in serious personal liability and disallowance of charges by the University. See the Export Controls site for more information.


International travel and related exports of University equipment, software, or proprietary information are subject to University policy (FIN-043) and US laws on export control in addition to University travel policies and procurement rules. A license from the US government may be required for travel or exports to certain countries. The University’s Office of Export Controls will assist travelers in obtaining any license necessary to support university travel.



Prior approval MUST be obtained for all activities with sanctioned countries:

  • Before making travel arrangements
  • Before traveling with University-owned equipment, software, samples or data
  • Before shipping University-owned equipment, software, samples or data to or from sanctioned countries
  • Before receiving equipment, software, samples, data, or financial support from anyone in a sanctioned country, prior to, during, and after travel
  • *Sanctioned countries include:

    Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and Ukraine.

Prior approval MUST be obtained for activities with non-sanctioned countries under the following circumstances:

  • Before traveling with University-owned equipment, software, samples or data
  • Before shipping University-owned equipment, software, samples or data to support University activities


    Book a trip with TravelUVA for special guidance with international travel

    Safety While Traveling

    The U.S. Department of State has a checklist that is helpful to prepare for a safe trip anywhere outside the United States.  Special attention should be given to the following:

    • There may be U.S. Department of State travel alerts or travel warnings related to specific countries. Travelers must be aware of potential travel concerns in certain parts of the world in order to determine whether the trip should be taken. Consult the U.S. Department of State list for up-to-date travel warnings and alerts.
    • UVA International Studies Office offers a detailed Travel Alerts, Notices & Warnings Page
    • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate 

    Passport and Visa Requirements

    *Update on 10/8/21: Processing times for U.S. passports are significantly delayed: 14 weeks for routine passports and 10 weeks for expedited service. 

    Using Credit Cards in International Destinations

    CISI Travel Insurance

    • All Academic University Employees traveling on University business are automatically enrolled in our international traveler insurance program when you register your trip via the Required Employee Travel Registry. Coverage is provided by CISI.
    • Traveler Identification Cards will be emailed within 24-48 business hours of enrollment and travelers should carry the card with them while traveling. 
    • The CISI plan covers evacuation, repatriation, security, and medical accident/sickness coverage at no cost to employees.
    • Employees have the option to purchase CISI insurance for other travelers accompanying them abroad (not applicable for other UVA faculty or staff, who must complete their own registration) by completing the CISI Faculty and Dependent Enrollment Form. Contact or (203) 399-5509 with any questions. 
    • Employees also have the option to extend their CISI insurance coverage for personal travel occuring directly before or after their UVA-related business travel by completing the Personal Extension form. Please note this extension option is strictly for University employees traveling for business with personal travel directly before or after their UVA-related business travel.
    • Find out about coverage for leisure travel by contacting CISI at

    Health and Immunizations

    • All employees are encouraged to use the Traveler’s Clinic located in West  Complex for medications and immunizations required for work-related travel abroad. Please call UVA Traveler's Clinic at (434) 982-1700 for more information. Those outside of the Charlottesville area should access these services wherever it is most convenient. Travelers should retain all receipts, regardless of amount, for reimbursement or T&E card reconciliation. Please use expense tile Services>>Other>>Medical Services to expense in ExpenseUVA.
    • Currently enrolled students should contact Student Health for assistance with immunizations. 
    • The Centers for Disease Control offers detailed and summary information on health concerns and international travel.

    UVA Health Plan Coverage outside of the U.S.

    • Academic employees covered by the University’s health plan traveling out of the country less than 90 days, only have coverage for urgent/emergency care.  Employee is responsible for paying the foreign provider and then submitting a claim form to get the charges reimbursed.
    • Academic employees covered by the University’s health plan who temporarily live outside the United States for at least 90 days should contact the UVA Benefits Division for international coverage. A special foreign country enrollment form needs to be completed to be eligible for in network benefits when living outside of the US for 90 days or more.
    • Refer to the Health Plan Ombudsman for more detailed instructions

    Vehicle Rental Insurance

    The University's vehicle rental contract included insurance does not cover the collision damage waiver (CDW) insurance for cars rented outside the territorial United States. Travelers are required to accept this additional coverage and will be reimbursed.

    Consolidator Airfare

    Consolidator Airfares may be purchased through Christopherson Business Travel (CBT). Consolidator tickets purchased from a source other than CBT are discouraged.

    A consolidator ticket is purchased from a ticket broker who is purchasing large volumes of tickets directly from the airline at a discounted price.  The discount can be significant over the airline’s published airfare and is generally available out of the major hub cities.

    • Travelers may or may not receive frequent flyer points.
    • Seats may or may not be assigned at the time of booking.
    • Consolidator tickets can only be booked by using a CBT agent.
    • Any changes or cancellations must be handled by CBT agent.  The traveler will not be able to call the airline for changes or cancellations.
    • CBT afterhours agents may not be able to offer assistance to travelers after hours as the consolidator might be closed during the time the traveler calls.   
    • In some instances the airline change fee may be higher because of consolidator tickets being "bulk" tickets.
    • If the ticket being purchased is a complex international itinerary, CBT’s transaction fee may be a higher amount.